Our second outing to clean the Hawk Rock area was a GREAT success thanks to the many wonderful volunteers who donated their time on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I think almost everyone managed to get at least a gallon of water up to Hawk Rock. We were hoping for 20 gallons of water at the top of the mountain but ended up with about 35 gallons and we used every last drop to blast off as much graffiti as possible. There’s still some paint left in the nooks and crannies but nothing is legible and you can see more of the rock’s natural color coming through.
Third Rock, the rock closer to the bottom third of the mountain, came out almost perfectly clean since it only had a couple layers of paint on it.
In addition to hauling water and removing graffiti, volunteers from Day Hikers of Central PA, Reddit, DATC, MCM and SATC also helped: trim back trail vegetation, clear water bars, slide a big rock off the trail in the avalanche area, fix the step at the bottom of the stairs just before Hawk Rock, and collect 2 HUGE bags of trash from below Hawk Rock.
|Volunteers Who Provided Their Name|
- Mutzabaugh’s Market donated about 15 large buckets for water storage.
- This is Duncannon donated heavy duty trash bags.
- Perry County Conservation District donated rubber gloves.
- Mountain Club of Maryland donated graffiti remover and equipment.
- Duncannon Appalachian Trail Community donated snacks, beverages and various cleaning supplies.
This was definitely a joint effort and all of the people who helped should be proud of themselves. Everyone did a great job! Thanks again. We appreciate all you have done and continue to do to help the Appalachian Trail and the Duncannon community.